Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My call into ministry through the story of Moses

The story of my call looks like the story of Moses. Moses started out with a very lucky life, growing up Egyptian but knowing he was Hebrew. Following who he was, and standing up for what he believed was right, he had to run away from his Egyptian life. While climbing a mountain, he was startled by a talking burning bush, which told him he was to free the Hebrews. Moses laughed and made up as many excuses as he could: no one would believe me because I can’t talk good. No one will listen to me because I don’t have special powers. God handed him a stick and said, “just wiggle this stick a little, it will look like a snake and get everyone scared.” Moses finally takes God's word and frees the Israelites.

For me, my own story starts out following a life that was leading up towards another career. I had been studying Computer Engineering for four years, graduated with honors, went to UCLA and started failing. Wasn’t exactly sure why, but I started to realize that my identity did not fully lay in the engineering field. After toiling with this sense of failure for two years, I started hearing a call that made me and my family laugh. God gave me the call to serve his people, but I at first laughed, and told God, “my mouth is very dirty, I can’t say two sentences without saying f-this or a-that.” I told God, “I don’t like speaking in public” but God told me that’s why I put you in public speaking classes. I told God that I don’t look at the Bible in similar eyes, I don’t study it like other “good Christians”, and God told me, “I never wanted you to look at the Bible the same way as anyone else.” Every illogical reason I had to not become a minister, God had either previously prepared me in one form or another, or used logic to calm them. And so I’m now walking the path that God has put forth in front of me, but if he makes me carry stone tablets, I’m going to be so mad.

3 comments:

Tripp said...

thanks for sharing a bit of your story. looking forward to hearing more of it in class.

Unknown said...

That is so good brother!! Yeh, maybe not stone tablets cuz you have a bad back...something a little lighter I'd hope for you...maybe a laptop or an itouch would work.

Anonymous said...

How about a couple of iPad's?