Monday, February 1, 2010

Claremont School of Theology And The United Methodist Church Parting Ways?

Yesterday, I received an email from my school that said the following:

“The administration of Claremont School of Theology learned last week that the University Senate of The United Methodist Church placed the School on Public Warning and embargoed denominational funds for the remainder of the School's fiscal year…”

Not the best email to read right before you go to bed…


As I continued to read, the email writes for that this will NOT affect my ordination process into the United Methodist Church. I have been dwelling over the news while I slept to reflect on my attendance at Claremont School of Theology (CST).


I entered into CST in the fall of 2008. I had been aware of some of the issues pertaining to the school, but I still decided on attending. As I continued my first year at the school, I realized that the school was making positive efforts to have the school receive its full accreditation status. I believed at that moment that attending this school was a good decision.


Reading the news release being placed on the school, as well as comments and responses, I do not know what to exactly think of the vision and direction of the school. The school has always held ecumenical openness in high regard and has pushed towards the respect of all religions ever since I have attended classes. This has allowed me to be more respectful and culturally sensitive to persons of other religions, as it has been my own personal pet peeve when people from other cultures naïvely step on my toes. On my own behalf, CST has been able to show me that culture has been the key to inviting others to Christ, whether that means by reflecting on the historical Christian missions or through the community presence of Christ. However, CST’s new vision and direction has placed the “golden child” of the UMC on the “naughty list.”


One of the reasons why I wanted to attend was because this used to be one of the prized seminaries of the UMC, but the direction of CST places the school in tension with the UMC organization. Some pastors like Talbot Davis believe that the vision of the seminary looks like a form syncretism due to the absence of Jesus Christ or Christianity (which I must add, I too did believe this when I first heard of the new vision of CST back in September). It would seem that way unless you hear CST president Jerry Campbell speak of the overall vision of CST becoming even more inter-religious than before. This would allow other religions to come to an academic institution to study their own faith while interacting with others. Financially speaking, it's a smart move because it allows the school to pull in a larger pool of students. On another note, it would help those from other religions to become leaders through an academic setting that they may not have had the opportunity to before. More importantly, I believe that it is true that an inter-religious seminary to have the potential of strengthening Christians because they are more aware of the world around them, and can affirm their own faith against a religiously/ethnically diverse school. After all, I have been here for almost two years and still believe in the salvation of Christ and the presence of God's love in the world.


Jerry Campbell, the president of CST, assures that this will be cleared in the next few months, just in time to have a worry-free summer. Until then, I will keep my faith that the issues between CST and the UMC will be clarified. CST has not failed me, as it has supported me in many different ways, one of which was affirming my calling into ministry. To not have the support of the UMC would be a disappointment to me as well as many other pastors and CST students/alumni.


Please let me know your thoughts and prayers. God bless!


Jon

2 comments:

Jon Visitacion said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I can only hope the UMC changes its position soon. As you say, inter-religious education for our pastors is invaluable in a world divided along lines of violent religious misunderstanding.