Saturday, July 16, 2011

Harry Potter

So I got out of my shell and went to go watch Harry Potter by myself. I didn't want to sit with huge crowds, so I forked out the extra dough to go watch it in 3D. It was good, as it ended the Harry Potter series, and now feel inspired to actually go and read the books.



But as I left the theater, I was not exactly thinking to myself, "wow that was an epic movie" or "why does Hermoine keep hugging Harry Potter if she likes Ron?" I left the theater kinda sad, probably from a combination of watching the movie and reflecting on my work. You see a person die in the movie, it reminded me of seeing a person die in real life. In essense, I felt the same emotions I did when I'm called into patients rooms to talk about a crisis.



It happens to everyone within their own context. When I was in HS in band, I could take any song and put notes to it. When I started being a camp counselor in college, I would be able to make games from junk. When I became a youth advisor, I would be able to make youth lessons from cartoons and TV. When I started to learn how to be a pastor, I could imagine sermons, prayers, and talks.



As I enter into this new context, I see that it makes sense to feel these things and associate them together. A death is a death, a loss is a loss, and grief in the movie is still grief.

No comments: