Sunday, June 12, 2011

Class of 2011

To the MYF Graduating class of 2011,

I know that today was graduation sunday at Faith UMC, and it marks the first major events that I miss due to being on the east coast.  I asked some of you to speak in front of the congregation, but because I couldn't be there in person, I did ask Chad to see if I could listen or possibly watch you give your faith testimonies.  I heard Darin talk about how his musicianship really was inspired through the church, and for Jonathan to talk about how he wouldn't really cry on stage but acknowledge that real men do cry.  And I saw Derek be strong and tall standing up and speaking in front of the congregation.  I saw Janey be grateful for the support that the church has given her in her life.  And finally, I saw Andrew well dressed for the occasion but also grateful for the church providing opportunities for camps and leadership opportunities. 

With that said, I think the congregation really appreciated the words you all spoke, but also the words that you didn't speak as well, as I only was not able to ask all of you and there possibly could have been much more to say.  The church has seen you grow if not for the past four years, but for your entire life to be mature adults (well, close to "mature" at least).  By you going to church, they have seen how God has worked in your lives and it means a lot to them.  Most of all, I am proud to have seen you grow in the youth group, watching how God has moved your lives to become leaders and role-models for the next generation. 

Thank you seniors for the silliness, the dumb jokes, the randomness, and the love.  Thank you for being the ones who led the way for the other MYFers and not completely scaring off the advisors.  I miss you all very very very much, and wish I could be home right now to hug you guys for those who did a good job speaking and to congratulate every Senior at their graduation from grade school.  Good luck on your future endeavors, and I hope that God continues to work in your lives.

Jon

No comments: