Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hawaiian food in Virginia

Ok, so I was craving hawaiian food tonight.  I looked for a hawaiian food place earlier with no luck, then i found one by accident.  It's a "Ono Hawaiian BBQ" place, which is more popular in socal so I was expecting the same quality.

You may guess where I'm going with this...

The door has many awards posted on it, but what I begin to notice is that they have won the award not for best restaurant or hawaiian food, but "Chinese".

Yup, This particular "Ono Hawaiian BBQ" serves Hawaiian food AND chinese food.  Still doesn't deter me from eating here this father's day evening.  So I order a Curry chicken plate which they give me fried wonton skins and salad dressing as an appetizer (wasn't bad at all, so no complaints).  And they bring out a full order of the chicken katsu and a huge bowl of curry.  I thought to myself, this is awesome...until I tried the curry sauce.  For those who don't know the differences between curry, this was not hawaiian curry, which is similar to Japanese curry except more milder.  This curry was more on par with thai curry, because it had coconut milk and pineapple.  It wasn't bad at all.  But it wasn't what I was expecting. 

Tied into this understanding is a level of culture clash that I have mentioned but not like this exactly.  So like, they have these stores like "dollar general" and "family dollar" except they're not really dollar stores.  Virginians have their own accent, which is subtly different from a "southern" or a "northern" accent.  And the correct way to say Portsmouth and Norfolk sounds like "Portsmith" and "Nor(*bleep*)".  I can't come to terms actually saying it how it is supposed to be pronounced so I still sound like a foreigner.  The best thing over here other than the people are the gas prices...I don't know how much you're paying down on the west coast, but I filled up my car paying 3.59/gal.

Aside from things i've noticed and all the things I've experienced, please know that I still miss home.  Thank you very much to those who have been checking up on me to make sure I'm ok.  I'll be alright, but just know that I miss you all. 

1 comment:

jinjanblog said...

Sounds like you're getting "southern" education along with the CPE Jon!

Gas prices in Phoenix are around $3.65,but I filled up for $3.45 yesterday.

I'm still doing homework for summer session classes, due
July 1. I'll be in Fredricksburg,VA July 2.

Peace,

Janis