Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Feeling Blue

So, one of the things that chaplains must do for their unit is that when a code BLUE is called, all chaplains responsible for that particular unit must check in with the charge nurse.  This is in case of the fact that if a patient passes during a code blue, you can be there to provide support for the staff, the patient's family, and for the deceased.

Today for my first code blue that I had to be present.  Luckily, the patient didn't pass away, but for me this was a new experience to see something like this.  I stuck around at the suggestion of other chaplains, and got to meet the husband, who was nice and fairly calm about the situation...In all honesty I wonder now if he even knew.  I left because I felt that the husband needed some space to let others know what is going on, but I stayed with him while the doctors and nurses asked him questions.  I prayed for both of them. and continue to pray for all of them and the other patients I visit/have visited.

No comments: