Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Driving from California to Virginia

Hi!  I'm bringing back my blog to talk about this Summer as a pastoral intern across the country.  I've traveled over 2800 miles by car to get over here, and in about 4 days I will start my program.  Until then, I just wanted to leave a post to describe the things I've noticed on the drive to Virginia.  Every day, my dad and I took turns driving in shifts.  We drove through every type of terrain and every type of weather, stayed in motels that were nice, not so nice, and the kind where you triple-check the door to make sure it's locked.  Below are random facts, but I'll have to get the gas mileage and the MPG some other day.  BTW, my pics of the roadtrip are on facebook.  Also, if you have a skype account, my screenname is jvisitacion.  Thanks!

Freeways primarily drove on: I-70, and I-64
Number of days: 6
Longest period of driving in one day: 12 hrs
Shortest period of driving in one day: 1.5 hrs
Notable Places we ate: Thelma's Filipino Cuisine (Henderson/Las Vegas, NV), Smokey's BBQ (Denver, CO), Arthur Bryant's BBQ (Kansas City, MO), Casa Gallardo (St. Louis, MO), Steak and Shake (St. Louis, MO), White Castle (St. Louis, MO), China Inn (Lexington, KY), Tamarack Food Court (Off of I-64, WV), Mexico Restaurant (Richmond, VA), Susanette's Filipino Cuisine (Virginia Beach, VA).
Best thing I ate:  Smokey's BBQ, Thelma's, Susanette's, Arthur Bryant's, Steak and Shake, White Castle, Tamarack Food Court.
Worst thing(s) I ate: Quality Inn continental breakfast (Lexington, KY)
The state that had the most diverse driving conditions: Colorado
The state that had the worst "welcome" sign: Missouri
The state that had the most wild animal sightings: Kansas
The state that had the most road kill: Kansas
The sate that had the goriest road kill: Kansas
The state we stayed in the shortest: Arizona (45 min)
What California has that no other state had on this trip: restricted mileage for truckers (it's scary seeing a semi driving 75mph)
What every other state has except California: Decent rest stops with stall doors that are not lined with graffiti
The coldest temp: 30's
The hottest temp: 90's
Places we visited: Cabela's outdoor/hunting store (CO and MO), Bass Pro Fishing Store (CO and MO), St. Louis Arch (MO), Santa Claus, IN, Tamarack Artesian Center (WV)

No comments: