Saturday, June 18, 2011

What to say...

Last night was my first night staying overnight at the hospital.  The spiritual care dept. tries to provide 24 hr access on the weekdays for those who are dealing with a spiritual crisis or just need a pastoral presence for whatever they're going through.  Last night was a particularly quiet night, which was good for me to "ease" in to the feeling of staying overnight at the hospital.

After 3 hrs of sleep on a recliner sofa, I woke up bored after taking a shower and waiting for the rest of the hospital to wake up.  But as I stared at my computer screen, the custodian walked by.  We've talked before as she has been in charge of our floor.  But this morning we actually had a conversation about our calling in life, as she asked me what brought me to become a pastor.

I answered her by saying that my calling was based in a faith community where there was/is/will be a need, and my gifts, talents, and passion complement that need.  She thought about that and then gave me her spin on this.  She comes from a place where she couldn't pinpoint what she was good at, as she excelled in everything.  She has a degree but has never used it.  She has three kids and does not have the time or energy to explore what God really wants her to do.  But the most important part is that she knows that God is not calling her to be a custodian, because she hates her work.

I didn't know how to respond, so I continued to listen to what she has to say.  She understands that with a calling comes a level of patience, and maybe this is a lesson to learn.  She believes in God and is a church goer, but between being busy and her frustrations, she feels out of place.  I wanted to tell her that her calling is in her children, or that her calling will come soon, but I felt that she has heard people say this to her.  In the end, I just said that God calls everyone towards something, and its always changing.  She agreed with me on that, and we talked about other things from that point onward. 

I hope that she finds her calling.  I don't think it will be a burning bush, though it would be helpful.  But I hope that God does move her in her life to be spiritually inspired.

No comments: